Followers

Monday, April 20, 2015

Card Maker's Corner #5

Hello everyone, it is time for us to know another crafter here at my blog. Today I have a super talented Crafter, Loll Thompson. Loll makes the best super CAS cards, and I love the use of leaves in her creations, in my opinion no one uses leaves and nails a card as Loll.

Lets hear what Loll has to say about the questions I had put for her.


1. Please tell us a little about yourself.

Hi Everyone.  Loll here (Stamping with Loll) and I’m so excited to be part of Rahmat’s Card Maker’s Corner!  Thanks Rahmat.

I am happily married for over 35 years to my sweetheart, Gord.  I have two adult sons and one beautiful grandson.

I love to craft!  My mom taught me to knit at a young age and I have loved working with my hands every since.  Over the years I have done crocheting, calligraphy, macramé, stained glass, ceramics, cross-stitching and more.  About ten years ago I started making cards and was immediately hooked on all the wonderful techniques and products there are to use.  My card making became more intense six years ago when I retired from work.


2. What is crafting to you?

Crafting is a way to express myself.  I also love to share my knowledge and that’s why I started my blog four years ago so that I could share what I have learned along the way.


3. If crafting was not you hobby, what else would be in its place?

I love to bake.  My mom taught me how to bake when I was a young teenager.  She shared her love of baking and also shared many wonderful recipes that I still make today.

I also love to garden.  There’s something very rewarding about planting seeds, seedlings, and bulbs and having them bloom.


4. Which are the very basic supplies you need to make a card? (Silly question ;) but I want to see how minimum a crafter needs)

Basic supplies include card stock, ink and stamps.  There are so many possibilities even with those three basic supplies.


5. What is a technique you are not good and want to excel?

I have only scratched the surface of mixed media and I would like to get better at it.   I would like to be able to let go more and not be so controlled with my cards … it’s something I want to work on.

6. What is your best technique to you love?

This is a tough one.  If you asked me a year or so ago, I would have said die-cuts … there’s just so much you can do with them.  But in the past year I have become obsessed with stenciling and water - colouring. 


7. Which are your all time 3 favourite cards?

Thank You Lee-Anne



Autumn Leaves



Pine Branch Tree




8. What is one thing we don’t know about you?
Many of my readers know that 2 ½ years ago my hubby had a heart attack and survived.  Our family is so thankful for all the help from everyone involved with that traumatic event and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery that followed.

What many don’t know, is that hubby went into cardiac arrest at home, in the middle of the night.  I am a light sleeper and I heard him take his last gasp.  I knew something was wrong right away and called 9-1-1.  The operator talked me through performing CPR until the paramedics arrived.  Hubby survived and has recovered wonderfully.  I am so thankful I was able to help until the medical team arrived.  It is something I will never forget.
  So glad that all is well, we need great composure in times like these, and looks like you were able to keep calm Loll, I am sure it is one of the moments which will stay with you forever. Thanks for sharing with us.

9. What is the piece of advice for crafters, whether new or seasoned?

Start out with basic stamping and get comfortable with that before trying other techniques.  Once you’re ready to move on, there’s lots of great places to learn about techniques and products (SplitcoastStampers, Happy Little Stampers – both forums), and tons of videos on YouTube and inspiration on Pinterest.  So many crafters not only share their beautiful cards, but many include how they made the card, with tips and tricks they’ve learned along the way.


10. I know that all crafters are hoarders in some way, which one thing is in your stash and you can buy again and again?


I hoard of lots of stuff,  but I do tend to hoard dies and keep buying them even though I now have a Silhouette Cameo cutting machine.  I have two boxes of dies that I pull out every day.  I always look through them first when starting a card.


I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Loll, and hope you all have enjoyed too.



Thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate your kind  feedback :) Have a great day!


13 comments:

  1. Great to have Loll on your Cardmaker's Corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of Loll's. Love your creations Loll and fun to read more about you! Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great interview, thank you so much! It's always fun to learn more about the stampers we admire! I absolutely love Loll's style of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loll is an extremely talented lady and it is lovely to learn more about her as a person. Glad to know her hubby has recovered so well from his heart surgery and how wonderful for her to know that she has had a big part to play in that. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great feature, Rahmat! I have admired Loll's beautiful cards over the past year, and wouldn't miss one of her posts! Thanks so much for sharing her talents with us...I enjoyed reading more about her on a personal level, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big admirer of Loll's cards. Thanks for posting your interesting interview with her. She makes CAS look so darn easy, when in reality, it's really HARD! (at least it is to make it look good!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for doing this, Rahmat! Love to learn more about all the talented stampers out there! Loll is one of my favorite people and stampers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only am I huge fan of Loll's beautiful cards, but I need to add something none of you will know. Loll is a phenomenally generous person and because we both live in the Vancouver, Canada area, we've been able to get together several times. Loll happily shares her talent and supplies and I've learned a lot from her. And for the last two years, she has made and donated about 30 Christmas cards to my annual fundraiser Christmas card sale (to raise money for the therapeutic horse riding facility I volunteer with). All in all, she's a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see Loll's work here and find out more about her, she's one of my fave's! Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a superlative interview. Enjoyed this immensely, and lovely to revisit the cards Loll chose as her favs. That would have been a hard pick for me, to choose from among all the wonderful cards she has shared. Had to chuckle at her comment about hoarding the dies & having the silhouette. I do the same thing. It's great to be in such good company as Loll. She's such an inspiration to me. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for doing these wonderful features, Rahmat! This was a great interview of Loll, who is one of my card heroes! I love every card she's ever made and want to CASE them all!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rahmat, what a wonderful interview - and with such a fabulous interviewee! Loll is awesome, both as a person and as a designer. Sweet, supportive, and incredibly creative. She's the kind of person I'd love to craft beside...so much talent to share and teach us! Loll: I knew your were a gem before reading this, but your answers here make it more abundantly clear. When next we go to Vancouver, I'd love to meet you!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete