Followers

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Samosa - A savory treat

Hello everyone, I am in Hyderabad for my summer and away from my crafting supplies,  so will be adding a recipe every now and then.

 Adding a picture of Hyderabad, it is very hot and bright,  I wish I have this house in Macau, I will have my own room for crafting!

There are a couple of people who are following my recipes,  and I feel bad for them for not adding, but most of them are family and close friends, so I will be forgiven ;)
Today I am sharing the recipe of Samosas, it is the most famous Indian snack. Plus very famous among my cooking class girls too. Traditionally it is a veg dish, with potatoes filling, but nowadays you can find meat samosas too.

 

But I stick to the tradition and make only veg samosas. There are tons of variations available for this recipe.  This one is my home recipe,  and will be definitely different. 

Ingredients and procedure :

For the pastry:
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Caraway seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1/2 TBsp
Water to knead the dough

Procedure :

In a medium sized bowl,  mix in all the ingredients except water. Add water little by little and knead the dough. Your dough should be on the harder side, so my advice here is add water sparingly.
Once you knead the dough, cover it and put aside. 

For filling:
Boiled and mashed potatoes - 1 cup
fresh peas - 1/4 cup
1 green chili finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
turmeric - 1/4 tsp
red.chili powder - 1/4 tsp (if you don't want too spicy then choose only r. chili powder, no green chili)
mint leaves  - 1/2 TBsp(no need to chop)
fresh coriander leaves chopped
Chat masala - 1/4 tsp
Amchoor(dry mango powder) - 1/4 tsp
salt to taste
1 tsp oil

Procedure:
Heat oil in a medium sized pan, and fry the onions till golden brown, add the peas, and saute for 5 minutes. now add the potatoes and all the above ingredients and mix well and cook for about 5 minutes and remove from heat. your filling is ready.
I don't have the pictures for the fillings, will click and update when I make next.

                      About to knead the dough

After kneading the dough and letting it sit for 
sometime, knead again for 5-10 minutes till it is soft, and looks like this.

 Take a small lime sized dough and roll it in between your palms to make a ball.

Roll it in  an oval shape.

Now cut this in half.

Scoop in a TBsp spoon full of filling

This fold is the most important part, fold from the middle, and then take the bottom and seal it in. If you take long time to do this, then I would highly recommend you to apply a bit of water on the rolled pastry before folding to ensure that it sticks well.


A good fold will let your samosa sit on its own.
I always make quite a few, these are now ready to be deep fried in oil.
I usually fry some and freeze the rest for later use, all you need to do is remove from the freezer and fry immediately, no need to thaw.
Heat oil in a deep pan to a low temperature, and fry the samosas, it will take at least 15 minutes for the pastry to become golden brown and crisp.

Serve hot with tomato ketchup , or any chutneys..I like it with Indian tea.
I can guarantee you that if you follow the recipe and make, you will be treating yourself to a very yummy savory treat.

Thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate your kind  feedback :) Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. I love Samosa ..thanks Rahmat for the recipe and will definitely try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Thanks for sharing Rahmat.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmhhhh - you make me hungry - love Samosas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post on "Samosa - A savory treat". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- sugar craft flower courses | patisserie college dubai

    ReplyDelete